Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Afternoon Delight

In this world of word processors and email, I have come to notice how neglected a thing the pencil has become. I, myself, have been guilty of ‘processing’ my words. The passive ease of typing and spell checking, although attractive, I think, has taken from me some of the freedom and power in my words.

Given the opportunity to, once again, wield a pencil, I find myself struck by a sense of satisfaction found, reborn, in watching the page filled by my movements. The words themselves, although sounding the same in my head as I write them, somehow feel more important as I see them written in my own script. The act of erasing is so violent actually scrubbing, and wiping away the proof of my own thoughts, leads me to exercise more caution in the words I choose.

The intense compulsion toward all things expressive makes as benign a thing as reading in a coffee shop, for me something tantamount to public masturbation. When a phrase is enticing, my mouth moves, tasting the words, a perfect paragraph will cause me to read aloud, to call out, to share, not at all unlike the moans and cries pulled from my lips in the depths of pleasure.

The ideas brought to life in my mind by an artist’s beautiful words fill me with a perverse sort of glee. A Catholic’s first communion is wrought with an intense sense of awe for this holy act and with a selfish pride in being allowed to taste the wine. It is the same, in this, for me.

Although I know a word written is a word shared, and that I am most likely a part of an audience, a multitude of readers, being allowed to taste the joy and pain placed before me by the writer feels so very intimate, so real each time, like a tryst, causing stolen whimpers in shadowed corners…

My writing this, your reading it, I’ve opened a door, you’ve crossed a threshold. A commitment to each other in each letter. What I’ve shared, what you’ve learned – we are no different than lovers, now.

So I light a cigarette, inhale deeply, and ask,” Was it good for you, too?”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tune from the hardware queen... your words create a wave of pleasure, a depth of desire, and rolling them on the tongue is almost, as profound and satisfying as rolling your flesh under my lips and teeth..

from the knight

Anonymous said...

I love to write, to actually put writing implement to paper and scribble. My handwriting flows, the ideas come to me one after the other, almost unbidden, and after a time I can pause, look, and see my words filling the page.

It's something *I* created, it doesn't exist anywhere else, and despite the mistakes, the changing handwriting and the smudges, it's an original piece of art that will probably remain hidden from the world.

Keep writing, Breathing, the satisfaction is one thing, the appreciation from another is just a plus, and your writing is appreciated.

Breathing said...

To that sweet Knight: So pleased to have you enjoy this piece so much. I especially appreciate your choice of words.

Breathing said...

Dan: It seems you have within you the very thing I'm talking about. The heart of a writer is a very passionate place. Any exercise of talent is a plea for an audience, whether its entirely internal, or set out for display, the desire for recognition is always the driving force.

Thag's Place said...

Breathing,

Thank you for making me realize that i have been neglecting my writing for far too long.

I have several stories, mostly horror and fantasy that I have too long ignored.

When I get them on electron I hope my little slices of my mind are 1/4 as good as your postings.

I am so glad I found you here.

Breathing said...

I'm glad you found me here, too! I love meeting new people who enjoy words as much as I do.

To quote a dear friend: "We are Gods of words, we give and we destroy and we are proud of all things created." (- Thanks Bobby, I could NEVER have come up with that!)

B-